Sunday, April 13, 2008

To nogeter i dag

Some confessions on this Sunday evening, when I'm seven pages into my 10-page paper on integration for Tuesday:

1) Copenhagen in the spring isn't all that different from Copenhagen in the winter, but it's a lot more fun to wander around.  It still rains about as much as Providence here, and the weather gods haven't quite realized that April means full-on springtime, but you know what?  There's full daylight until well after 8 pm because we're so far north, and that, my friends, is awesome.  The Strøget is also much richer with musicians busking for a few öre (although this also means that those annoying guys selling these bird-calling mouthpieces are more plentiful, too).  And all the restaurants and cafés have tables set up out on the cobblestones, complete with space heaters and fleece blankets as necessary.  Now it just needs to warm up enough so I can do my coffeeshop-studying routine al fresco!

2) I rather dislike having my hair long, so on Friday I spent the better part of an hour and 75 kr. (about $15) on a haircut through DIS, as salons (like most other Danish things) are fairly expensive.  This may have been a less-than-good plan, though, as I ended up with a bit less hair and a bit more angles than I'm pretty sure I asked for.  Silly language barrier, or maybe I just wasn't specific enough, because, to be fair, the woman was a trained beautician and did know what she was doing in general.  On the upside, I definitely won't need another haircut before I get back home to Virginia, and it's definitely worth it to have my hair no longer hanging at my shoulders.  Honestly, it's not that bad, though, and even if it's not my best look, it's growing on me.  It's also settling down after a couple of days, which is good, and (as we discovered while preparing for Vega on Friday night) will look great with tank tops once the weather gods' spring plans kick in (hint, hint).

And now, back to government-sponsored housing and preschool policies!

No comments: