Thursday, April 3, 2008

Hjemme i Skindergade!

And thus, spring break is over. I'm slowly getting back into Danish-speaking mode (though the guy at the falafel place earlier sounded impressed), restocking my omelet-making supplies, and getting jealous of everyone else's traveling experiences even as I'm thrilled to recount my own adventures.

I'll try to have pictures posted soon. There are more than 500 worth sharing, but my computer's currently undergoing an identity crisis of sorts that my Apple-savvy sources inform me will almost definitely require a reinstallation of the operating system to fix. The short version is that Safari (and various other much-used programs) won't open, and while Firefox has generally been behaving, it quits whenever I try to access the Facebook photo-uploader. Fortunately, Jen lent me an external hard drive (thanks for talking me out of bringing mine, Dad!), so my everything is backed up and, in an ideal world, the DIS IT guys will have things straightened out tomorrow and you all can get pictures to distract you at work by Monday morning. We'll see. I've been straightening all of this out while also trying to get a replacement for my broken room key last month, which still hasn't entirely happened: DIS lent me the master until such time as the one cut to replace mine comes back made to, you know, unlock the door to the building.

In the meantime, it
has been wonderful to be back, even if I can only play music song-by-song via QuickTime. I've loved reunited with the roommates and friends from various classes, and it is so nice to have clothing in, you know, a bureau. I'm back to Bagel Dreams and the excellent mini-salads next door, not-quite-daily chai lattés, and attempting to make "jeg" sound like "ya" in speaking. Plus, I have my gym back! (I'm trying to get to Thai Bo more often.) My giant backpack is safely stowed under my bed until May, at which point it's coming with me to Paris, Madrid, and Barcelona, by the looks of things. For the next couple of weeks, though, I'm very happy to be staying in this one, single, beautiful city that has totally perked up with the coming of spring.

On an almost entirely unrelated note (and I say "almost" because she's the one traveling with me to Paris!), I'd like to take this time and space to say a
major congratulations to my sister Emily, who this fall will be matriculating into Yale University's class of 2012!

No comments: