Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Jeg skal hjem...

I'm so glad I flew home from Copenhagen, even if it was a bit counter-productive to do it this way.  Touching down on Tuesday night, I saw the windmills near the beach at Amager Strand, ordered yogurt at the train station på dansk, and (despite what I'd thought on my last night in the city) enjoyed my last Danish nightfall.  I found the Danhostel no problem and had a lovely conversation with a young Norwegian filmmaker who had one of the other beds in my room.


On Wednesday, my flight wasn't until 12:20, but I roused myself at seven that morning for a last goodbye to my city.  The hostel was basically in the same neighborhood as my apartment and DIS were, so I crossed Rådhusplasen and smiled bittersweetly along Vestergade and Studiostræde and the rest of the streets.  At one point, a woman asked me for directions--to Skindergade, no less!--and while my Danish isn't anywhere near good enough to provide directions, she spoke enough English for me to tell her just where to go!  I had a chocolate wienerbrød (Danish) from Skt. Peder's Bageri, picked up my favorite tomato bagel with pesto cream cheese from Bagels & Dreams for the plane (which turned out to be a good idea, as I'd forgotten to switch my in-flight meals to vegetarian), and, of course, one very last lille chai-cino from the Baresso near my apartment.  And with that, I caught my last S-Tog and jumped off when they announced, "Næste station, Kastrup Lufthavn."  I traded in a couple hundred kroner, several euro notes, and an unexpected 50 Czech crown note in for U.S. dollars, and smiled sadly at the Øresund windmills as Sjælland fell away for the last time...for a while, anyway.

No comments: