Thursday, May 8, 2008

Eksamen.

It's been a very low-key week since last I updated, more or less unfortunately.  Exams and the like will do that to you.  On the other hand, I'm done this time next week, so...

I did manage to spend several hours studying at the absolutely gorgeous Botanical Gardens on Saturday.  The weather has been practically perfect for the last week or two--60s, sunny, no humidity--so it was a rather delightful experience, minus, you know, reading about rampant corruption in African society.  When that closed (who closes a garden at 6pm when the sun doesn't set until nearly 9?), I got a muffin and continued the al fresco gig at Nazaza Coffee on the Strøget.  And I still didn't quite get all my reading done.

Sunday brought a more-intense-than-usual Thai Bo class and much research for my Environmental History paper.  I'm not a fan of the class (history, I mean, not Thai Bo), but we did get to pick our own topics, and I like mine--the impact (or lack thereof) of radical environmentalists in Europe.  Greenpeace, Friends of the Earth, Earth First!, the Animal and Earth Liberation Fronts, you name it, it's probably in there succeeding only marginally.  So that's been interesting, in a I'd-rather-be-outside way.  It (as well as the last few class meetings) dominated most of this week, though.

The exception was yesterday, when my EU politics class had our wrap-up event: the fabled Simulation Game.  It wasn't as Model UN-esque as I'd hoped, but my group (as the Czech Republic) made a very respectable showing, and we even managed to swing some decent funding for rural development.  The Sim Game was generally fun, I guess, but the whole thing might've had fewer dull undertones had they picked a more stimulating topic than the Common Agricultural Policy.  Other semester, they've debated environmental policy or Turkish accession.  We got dairy quotas and landholding thresholds.  But we also got wine and very, very good mini-sandwiches at the reception afterwards, so I daresay I'll live.  (For some reason, I only seem to like Danish lox.  Never liked it at home, didn't enjoy the Norwegian variety, but the Danes do smoked salmon really, really well, apparently.)

Wednesday also brought my roommate and fellow Brown student Dara's birthday, which the four of us celebrated by taking her to the Post Office Café, which is a lovely eatery literally atop the Post Office Museum.  You take the elevator all the way up, and it's like you're in the Great Glass Elevator above the city!  The day was gorgeous, so we ate outside on the roof; we caught the changing guards marching down the street from above and shared a very rich chocolate cake accompanied by a very small Danish flag.  Birthdays are fun.

Now, of course, it's back to work.  My Greenpeace et al paper is due in about 23 hours, and it needs to be 10 pages long.  Oy.  Time to move into Baresso or Café Retro or something.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey!

I have been enjoying to read some of your blog posts.. I am a Dane, currently living in Columbus, Ohio, so it is really interesting to read about your thoughts on the Danish culture.. I haven't been home for 9 months, so it is nice to read a little bit about my home country..

Jakob Hentze, jakob.hentze@gmail.com