Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Min tirsday og onsdag

This Tuesday had two events of note.  First off, I was standing in the DIS building with Jen when I noticed a package slip fall into the mail folder with a name on it that I recognized.  I sort of yelped and then explain to Jen that I wasn't (entirely) crazy-- "I think I went to camp with that girl."  It had to be the same person-- her name is pretty distinct.  Someone behind me says, "That's me."  I turn around, and lo and behold, it's Yarden from my Environmental History of Europe class.  She's a full-year student and we've already met.  I say, "I think you came to my Bat Mitzvah" (she did), and immediately she makes the connection and we both get excited for several minutes while playing quick catch-up trying to figure out how the heck we hadn't recognized each other.  Talk about your small world!  We both had places to be, but hopefully we can do coffee or something after class and catch up properly.

Later on, my three roommates and I went to La Glace, the pastry shop and oldest bakery in Denmark, which is across the street, in celebration of Jackie's birthday.  I had a flat wafer-y thing that tasted like a delicious apricot hamantaschen; the others opted for something called a "Sport Cake" that seemed to consist almost entirely of mousse.  Dara's and my birthdays will both be during our stay in Copenhagen, too, so that's definitively going to be a place to return to.  Those chocolate croissants looked positively deadly.

I had Wednesday off again (no classes and no field trips for any of said classes), so after a leisurely morning filled with exercise and dried fruit from a street vendor on the Strøget (the big walking street), I found Jen over in Østerbro and we explored her neighborhood.  Good sushi, cute little boutiques of every sort, and a cheaper-than-Netto grocery store-- she may have to commute to DIS, but it's not a bad area to live at all.  In my own wanderings, I also found the gorgeous little Ørsteds Parken (near Nørreport Station)-- check the links from my last post for pictures.

Vi ses på lørdag (after the short study tour)!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Ahhh, sportskage! That's actually La Glace's most famous cake. Next time you go, you should get the hot chocolate. It's expensive, around 45kr. per person, but AMAZING and I think it's bottomless! Yum! :)
Good Eats,
Sarah, DIS intern (so you're not wondering who the random person commenting on your blog is...)